Quantcast

HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

Hussain Dahodwala
Hello,

I wanted to know whether we can create, start, stop, delete VMs running on a HyperV machine using wsman.

Please let me know a few examples if possible.

--
With Regards,
Hussain.

Re: HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

Klaus Kaempf
* Hussain Dahodwala <[hidden email]> [Jul 24. 2013 10:59]:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to know whether we can create, start, stop, delete VMs running on
> a HyperV machine using wsman.

Yes, this is possible !

> Please let me know a few examples if possible.

Have a look at libvirt-cim, it supports HyperV with the help of
Openwsman. The initial patch set
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-July/msg00766.html)
included also some documentation.

Hth,

Re: HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

Klaus Kaempf
* Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> [Jul 24. 2013 11:07]:

> Have a look at libvirt-cim, it supports HyperV with the help of
> Openwsman.

Sorry, that should be 'libvirt'.
See
  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/drvhyperv.html.in;hb=HEAD
The source (git tree) is at
  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=summary

Re: HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

Hussain Dahodwala
Hello,

I do not wish to use "Libvirt".
Is it possible only by using wsman ?

I want to Create/Start/Stop/Destroy HyperV VMs from a Linux machine using C programming language.

Can this example given on GITHUB be used "link" ?

--
With Regards,
Hussain.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> [Jul 24. 2013 11:07]:

> Have a look at libvirt-cim, it supports HyperV with the help of
> Openwsman.

Sorry, that should be 'libvirt'.
See
  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/drvhyperv.html.in;hb=HEAD
The source (git tree) is at
  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=summary

Re: HyperV VM management(Create/Start/Stop/Destroy) using wsman

Klaus Kaempf
* Hussain Dahodwala <[hidden email]> [Jul 25. 2013 07:55]:
> Hello,
>
> I do not wish to use "Libvirt".

You don't have to ;-) But libvirt serves as a good documentation source.

> Is it possible only by using wsman ?

Yes.

> I want to Create/Start/Stop/Destroy HyperV VMs from a Linux machine using C
> programming language.

That's exactly what libvirt is doing.

> Can this example given on GITHUB be used
> "link<https://github.com/Openwsman/wsmancli/blob/master/examples/session_invoke.c>"
> ?

Yes, this gives the basic structure for issuing WS-Management calls
using Openwsman's C API. You need to adapt the resource_uri and issue
the appropriate actions.

See Hyper-V documentation (google for 'winrm hyperv') for setting up
the Hyper-V server.

Hth,