InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

ABHIRUP_SEAL

Hi,

I am developing a WSMAN client. I am sending the following Soap XML with newly generated UUIDs and every time I get error, details of which are provided below. However, I am getting a proper response for an identify command.

Request:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

- <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:wsa="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing" xmlns:wsman="http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd" xmlns:wsen="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/enumeration">

- <s:Header>

  <wsa:Action s:mustUnderstand="true">http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/enumeration/Enumerate</wsa:Action>

  <wsa:To s:mustUnderstand="true">https://10.94.225.67:443/wsman</wsa:To>

  <wsman:ResourceURI s:mustUnderstand="true">http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/DCIM_XYZ</wsman:ResourceURI>

  <wsa:MessageID s:mustUnderstand="true">uuid:99fee153-7edb-4458-9246-c9e0c81e557f</wsa:MessageID>

- <wsa:ReplyTo>

  <wsa:Address>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing/role/anonymous</wsa:Address>

  </wsa:ReplyTo>

- <wsman:SelectorSet>

  <wsman:Selector Name="__cimnamespace">root/dcim</wsman:Selector>

  </wsman:SelectorSet>

  </s:Header>

  <s:Body />

  </s:Envelope>

Response:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

- <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:wsa="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing" xmlns:wsman="http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd">

- <s:Header>

  <wsa:To>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing/role/anonymous</wsa:To>

  <wsa:Action>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing/fault</wsa:Action>

  <wsa:RelatesTo>uuid:99fee153-7edb-4458-9246-c9e0c81e557f</wsa:RelatesTo>

  <wsa:MessageID>uuid:d65ced54-e6d5-16d5-8009-00d83e1cb190</wsa:MessageID>

  </s:Header>

- <s:Body>

- <s:Fault>

- <s:Code>

  <s:Value>s:Sender</s:Value>

- <s:Subcode>

  <s:Value>wsa:InvalidMessageInformationHeader</s:Value>

  </s:Subcode>

  </s:Code>

- <s:Reason>

  <s:Text xml:lang="en">A message information header is not valid and the message cannot be processed.</s:Text>

  </s:Reason>

- <s:Detail>

  <wsman:FaultDetail>http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman/faultDetail/DuplicateMessageID</wsman:FaultDetail>

  </s:Detail>

  </s:Fault>

  </s:Body>

  </s:Envelope>

Abhirup Seal

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

Klaus Kaempf
Hi Abhirup,

* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:16]:

> Hi,
> I am developing a WSMAN client. I am sending the following Soap XML with newly generated UUIDs

which tool/software are you using to create these SOAP requests ?

>   <s:Value>wsa:InvalidMessageInformationHeader</s:Value>
>   </s:Subcode>
>   </s:Code>
> - <s:Reason>
>   <s:Text xml:lang="en">A message information header is not valid and the message cannot be processed.</s:Text>
>   </s:Reason>
> - <s:Detail>
>   <wsman:FaultDetail>http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman/faultDetail/DuplicateMessageID</wsman:FaultDetail>

The wsman:FaultDetail gives a hint to the code. Apparently, openWSMAN
tracks message IDs to detect duplicate ones. However, there is a
compile-time option to disable this check. I have to check what the
WS-Management standard says about this.

Hth,

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

ABHIRUP_SEAL

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the reply, I am using the enumeration schema and my own SOAP generation code. The uuid generation is random, so each time it should be unique and hence the WSMAN server should not treat this as a duplicate. We also went through the code and found the #ifdef option to disable the duplicate check, however as you say, we need to see what the specs say. But, what I am trying to find out is what could be wrong with the XML SOAP packet. I have  also compared it with the WSMAN-CLI output of the same class but could not find any disparity.

Thanks,

Abhirup

* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:16]:

> Hi,
> I am developing a WSMAN client. I am sending the following Soap XML
> with newly generated UUIDs

which tool/software are you using to create these SOAP requests ?

>   <s:Value>wsa:InvalidMessageInformationHeader</s:Value>
>   </s:Subcode>
>   </s:Code>
> - <s:Reason>
>   <s:Text xml:lang="en">A message information header is not valid and the message cannot be processed.</s:Text>
>   </s:Reason>
> - <s:Detail>
>
> <wsman:FaultDetail>http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman/faultDet
> ail/DuplicateMessageID</wsman:FaultDetail>

The wsman:FaultDetail gives a hint to the code. Apparently, openWSMAN tracks message IDs to detect duplicate ones. However, there is a compile-time option to disable this check. I have to check what the WS-Management standard says about this.

Hth,

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

* Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:24]:
> I have to check what the
> WS-Management standard says about this.

DSP0226 (aka WS-Management 1.1.1) says this
  wsa:MessageID

  This optional element (of type xs:anyURI) uniquely identifies this
  message in time and space. This element shall be present if
  wsa:ReplyTo or wsa:FaultTo is present. No two messages with a
  distinct application intent may share a wsa:MessageID value. A
  message may be retransmitted for any purpose (including
  communications failure) and may use the same wsa:MessageID value.
  The value of this header is an opaque URI whose interpretation
  beyond equivalence is not defined in this specification. If a reply
  is expected, this property shall be present.

So no two messages might share the same MessageID, but a
retransmission (with unchanged content) is explicitly allowed.

openWSMAN stores up to 200 MessageIDs internally in a FIFO manner.

I'll check if Openwsman breaks the retransmission rule and will evlt.
push a fix to the git repo.

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:32]:
> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
> Hi Klaus,
> Thanks for the reply, I am using the enumeration schema and my own SOAP generation code. The uuid generation is random, so each time it should be unique and hence the
> WSMAN server should not treat this as a duplicate.

From looking at the Openwsman code, it seems as if the UUID is
duplicate within the last 200 requests.
Maybe you need more randomness ?! ;-)

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

ABHIRUP_SEAL

Hi Klaus,

I restarted the WSMAN server, shouldn’t that clear out the message ID list?

Also, do we have any specific requirement for the UUID? I am using ‘uuid ‘ python module, and have tried both of the following options:

# make a UUID based on the host ID and current time

>>> uuid.uuid1()

UUID('a8098c1a-f86e-11da-bd1a-00112444be1e')

# make a random UUID

>>> uuid.uuid4()

UUID('16fd2706-8baf-433b-82eb-8c7fada847da')

Even with multiple retries I get the same result. I will also check the WSMAN server code to see what is going wrong in the UUID check

Thanks,

Abhirup

* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:32]:
> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
> Hi Klaus,
> Thanks for the reply, I am using the enumeration schema and my own
> SOAP generation code. The uuid generation is random, so each time it should be unique and hence the WSMAN server should not treat this as a duplicate.

From looking at the Openwsman code, it seems as if the UUID is duplicate within the last 200 requests.
Maybe you need more randomness ?! ;-)

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

Klaus Kaempf
* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:46]:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> I restarted the WSMAN server, shouldn't that clear out the message ID list?

Yes. that should clear the list.

> Also, do we have any specific requirement for the UUID? I am using 'uuid ' python module, and have tried both of the following options:

No, except for 'equality' there are no additional semantics defined by
the WS-Management standard. Openwsman just treats it as string.

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

* Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:32]:

> openWSMAN stores up to 200 MessageIDs internally in a FIFO manner.
>
> I'll check if Openwsman breaks the retransmission rule and will evlt.
> push a fix to the git repo.

Openwsman indeed does not honor the retransmission rule. I'd vote for
removing the check alltogether since implementing it properly
(checking message id and content) adds too much runtime overhead.

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

ABHIRUP_SEAL

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the help, I’m trying to get things done by removing the duplicate check, yet to check outputs.

Regards,

Abhirup

* Klaus Kaempf <[hidden email]> [Sep 20. 2013 14:32]:

> openWSMAN stores up to 200 MessageIDs internally in a FIFO manner.
>
> I'll check if Openwsman breaks the retransmission rule and will evlt.
> push a fix to the git repo.

Openwsman indeed does not honor the retransmission rule. I'd vote for removing the check alltogether since implementing it properly (checking message id and content) adds too much runtime overhead.

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

leapmc
Klaus, you mention that there is a compile time option to disable the check for duplicate UUIDs as the messageID but you don't mention the option.  Can you enlight me with the details?  Thanks In adavance.

Mike

The wsman:FaultDetail gives a hint to the code. Apparently, openWSMAN tracks message IDs to detect duplicate ones. However, there is a compile-time option to disable this check.

Re: InvalidMessageInformationHeader error

Klaus Kaempf
* leapmc <[hidden email]> [Nov 28. 2013 00:59]:
> Klaus, you mention that there is a compile time option to disable the check
> for duplicate UUIDs as the messageID but you don't mention the option.  Can
> you enlight me with the details?  Thanks In adavance.

Sorry for missing that information.

The compile-time option is IGNORE_DUPLICATE_ID.
See wsman_is_duplicate_message_id() in src/lib/wsman-dispatcher.c