Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Kämpfe, Christiane
Hello all,

Does anybody know a good address for OpenWSMAN-Perl documents ?

Reason: I want to try to set max_elements to 1 but does not know how to set this.

        (single step enumeration so that we can "consider" each fetched instance ... and maybe shorten the enumeration process)

2nd reason: How can I find out which version of Perl-openWSMAN does support which functionality
(e.g. max_elements)

ftsckae

Re: Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Klaus Kaempf
* Kämpfe, Christiane <[hidden email]> [Sep 16. 2013 11:30]:
> Hello all,

Hi Christiane,

> Does anybody know a good address for OpenWSMAN-Perl documents ?

the best option is the source code. OpenWSMAN-Perl is a side-effect of
the Ruby bindings done in SWIG. But being a Perl illiterate, I am
unable to offer more than that.

> Reason: I want to try to set max_elements to 1 but does not know how to set this.

You can use the new Ruby bindings documentation at
http://www.suse.com/~kkaempf/openwsman and search for 'max_elements='.
If you hover your mouse pointer over the description, a 'click to
toggle source' link will appear, showing you the SWIG source.

For 'max_elements=' (ClientOptions), the SWIG function is 'set_max_elements(int
elements)'. This code should work

  my $options = new openwsman::ClientOptions::();
  $options->set_max_elements(1);

> (single step enumeration so that we can "consider" each fetched instance

Uhm, set_max_elements might not do what you trying to achieve.
set_max_elements limits the number of returned elements. Single step
enumeration should be done with the normal enumerate/pull mechanism,
pulling one element after the other.

> ... and maybe shorten the enumeration process)

If you're looking for speed improvements, setting options flags to
'FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION' is a better option:

  $options->set_flags($openwsman::FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION);

This will return the enumeration result directly without the need to
issue pull requests.

> 2nd reason: How can I find out which version of Perl-openWSMAN does support which functionality
> (e.g. max_elements)

The Openwsman ChangeLog at
https://github.com/Openwsman/openwsman/blob/master/ChangeLog
should give you most of this information.

Hth,

Re: Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Kämpfe, Christiane
Hello again,

On preinstalled openWSMAN-Perl on "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) "
->set_max_elements() doesn’t work.

'FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION' is for ONE call to get all.

We want to have single or very small pulls for very big Class-Lists.
The Pull operation via Perl-openwsman.pm seem to fetch NOW always very much elements on the above named RH6.3.

--- Christiane

* Kämpfe, Christiane <[hidden email]> [Sep 16. 2013 11:30]:
> Hello all,

Hi Christiane,

> Does anybody know a good address for OpenWSMAN-Perl documents ?

the best option is the source code. OpenWSMAN-Perl is a side-effect of the Ruby bindings done in SWIG. But being a Perl illiterate, I am unable to offer more than that.

> Reason: I want to try to set max_elements to 1 but does not know how to set this.

You can use the new Ruby bindings documentation at http://www.suse.com/~kkaempf/openwsman and search for 'max_elements='.
If you hover your mouse pointer over the description, a 'click to toggle source' link will appear, showing you the SWIG source.

For 'max_elements=' (ClientOptions), the SWIG function is 'set_max_elements(int elements)'. This code should work

  my $options = new openwsman::ClientOptions::();
  $options->set_max_elements(1);

> (single step enumeration so that we can "consider" each fetched
> instance

Uhm, set_max_elements might not do what you trying to achieve.
set_max_elements limits the number of returned elements. Single step enumeration should be done with the normal enumerate/pull mechanism, pulling one element after the other.

> ... and maybe shorten the enumeration process)

If you're looking for speed improvements, setting options flags to 'FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION' is a better option:

  $options->set_flags($openwsman::FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION);

This will return the enumeration result directly without the need to issue pull requests.

> 2nd reason: How can I find out which version of Perl-openWSMAN does
> support which functionality (e.g. max_elements)

The Openwsman ChangeLog at
https://github.com/Openwsman/openwsman/blob/master/ChangeLog
should give you most of this information.

Hth,

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Klaus Kaempf
* Kämpfe, Christiane <[hidden email]> [Sep 16. 2013 13:17]:
> Hello again,
>
> On preinstalled openWSMAN-Perl on "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) "
> ->set_max_elements() doesn’t work.

What version of openwsman-perl is installed on RHEL6.3 ?

Doesn't work in the sense of 'not supported' or 'does not limit the
enumeration result' ?

> 'FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION' is for ONE call to get all.

It will return 'max_elements' number of elements as a result of the
enumerate call. Without this flag, 'enumerate' will return an
enumeration context to be used with 'pull'.

To speed up enumerations you can also use set_max_elements to request
multiple elements in the 'pull' call. The default is 1.

> We want to have single or very small pulls for very big Class-Lists.

There is also the filter option which should limit the number of
enumeration elements created on the server.

Re: Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Kämpfe, Christiane
Hello,

If I try set_ax_elements() I get:

Can't locate auto/openwsman/ClientOptions/set_max_ele.al in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at ./c.pl line 1146

Where c.pl is "our" new script.

I could not find any version info in openwsman.pm

The wsman -q says wsmancli 2.2.3 (201003161057)

--- Christiane

* Kämpfe, Christiane <[hidden email]> [Sep 16. 2013 13:17]:
> Hello again,
>
> On preinstalled openWSMAN-Perl on "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) "
> ->set_max_elements() doesn’t work.

What version of openwsman-perl is installed on RHEL6.3 ?

Doesn't work in the sense of 'not supported' or 'does not limit the enumeration result' ?

> 'FLAG_ENUMERATION_OPTIMIZATION' is for ONE call to get all.

It will return 'max_elements' number of elements as a result of the enumerate call. Without this flag, 'enumerate' will return an enumeration context to be used with 'pull'.

To speed up enumerations you can also use set_max_elements to request multiple elements in the 'pull' call. The default is 1.

> We want to have single or very small pulls for very big Class-Lists.

There is also the filter option which should limit the number of enumeration elements created on the server.

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: Perl: where to find documents for the perl usage ?

Klaus Kaempf
* Kämpfe, Christiane <[hidden email]> [Sep 16. 2013 13:39]:

> I could not find any version info in openwsman.pm

Do a "rpm -qf openwsman.pm", this should report the RPM package and
its version.