Running tests in the wsmancli and openwsman source packages

Running tests in the wsmancli and openwsman source packages

Kent Baxley
Hello,

I'm experimenting with the tests included in the "/tests" folder of
the wsmancli(v2.3.0) and openwsman(version 2.3.6).

Packages exist for Ubuntu in the universe repository and they seem to
work fine.  I've requested that they be included in the Main
repository but there were questions about why the tests were turned
off and whether or not they could be enabled:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wsmancli/+bug/1262290

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openwsman/+bug/1262299

So, what I've done is grab the package source for each and enable the
tests.  For wsmancli, I added the "--with-tests=yes" configure option
and then simply run the tests during the build by executing:

./tests/cunit/wsman_cunit_tests
./tests/interop/interop

..none of the above tests passed but I'm not surprised (see the
attached file for the failures I ran into).  I'm not sure if I'm even
running them correctly.  Is there a 'correct' way to invoke these
tests?  I also noticed that a while back that tests and examples were
disabled by default and was also curious as to why or whether they are
even supposed to work at all.

For openwsman, I had a lot of failures for the python and perl
bindings.  It looks as if you have to have a running openwsman daemon
for these tests to even work, correct?  I installed openwsman on my
system, fired up the daemon with openwsman -d and re-ran the tests
with no change in the outcome. I've attached what I believe are the
relevant files that show the test failures.  Again, I may be doing
something totally wrong here, plus, it seems that none of the
rpm-based packages invoke the tests and I'm not sure if it's even
practical to even have the tests turned on during the builds.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Kent Baxley
Field Engineer, Canonical

wsmancli-test-failures (15K) Download Attachment
LastTest.log (56K) Download Attachment
LastTestsFailed.log (224 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Running tests in the wsmancli and openwsman source packages

Klaus Kaempf
Hi Kent,

* Kent Baxley <[hidden email]> [Jan 07. 2014 21:37]:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experimenting with the tests included in the "/tests" folder of
> the wsmancli(v2.3.0) and openwsman(version 2.3.6).

thanks for looking into this. Btw, the latest release of openwsman is
2.4.3. Grab it from
https://github.com/Openwsman/openwsman/releases/tag/v2.4.3

> Packages exist for Ubuntu in the universe repository and they seem to
> work fine.  I've requested that they be included in the Main
> repository but there were questions about why the tests were turned
> off and whether or not they could be enabled:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wsmancli/+bug/1262290
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openwsman/+bug/1262299

I just commented on both bugs: The tests can not be run standalone.
You need openwsmand (openwsman deamon) and a CIMOM (sblim-sfcb or
tog-pegasus) with base instrumentation (sblim-cmpi-base) running.

> So, what I've done is grab the package source for each and enable the
> tests.  For wsmancli, I added the "--with-tests=yes" configure option
> and then simply run the tests during the build by executing:
>
> ./tests/cunit/wsman_cunit_tests
> ./tests/interop/interop
>
> ..none of the above tests passed but I'm not surprised (see the
> attached file for the failures I ran into).

The tests/ directory for openwsman and wsmancli are largely
unmaintained, I never had the time :-/ I usually run the Ruby and
Python tests.

Looking at the source, the code below tests/ isn't even prepared for
automation but rather relies on visual inspection. Test results are
sent to stderr, the exit code is always 0 :-(

I gladfully accept patches ;-)

> I'm not sure if I'm even
> running them correctly.  Is there a 'correct' way to invoke these
> tests?  I also noticed that a while back that tests and examples were
> disabled by default and was also curious as to why or whether they are
> even supposed to work at all.

The tests below the bindings/ directory are working. You need to start
a CIMOM (like sblim-sfcb) with base instrumentation (sblim-cmpi-base
for sblim-sfcb) and run the openwsmand daemon.

> it seems that none of the
> rpm-based packages invoke the tests and I'm not sure if it's even
> practical to even have the tests turned on during the builds.

Well, you could do this by installing sblim-sfcb and sblim-cmpi-base
into the build environment and run sfcb as well as openwsmand.

Hth,