Quantcast

wsman set behavior..

Kuri, Rajesh Siddappa

Hello,

I upgraded wsman server from 2.2.4 to 2.3.6 level. Verified all functionalities implemented remain unchanged with upgraded level of openwsman.

We observed “wsman set” operation behaviour is changed from 2.2.4 to version 2.3.6.

With debug messages in my provider function, I tracked how the wsman set operation is executed.

From the log messages, in 2.2.4 wsman set operation was taking below execution path:

a.       Wsman calls "GetInstance()" of an object and then calls ModifyInstance() method to set the property value to specified value and return to client with instance.

In openwsman 2.3.6, wsman set operation takes below execution path:

a.       Wsman set request first calls "GetInstance()" followed by "ModifyInstance()" method. Once the modify method successfully changes property value it returns to its caller. Now after successful modify wsman will once again call "GetInstance()" method.

So is that correct in 2.3.6 level of wsman there is an extra call to “GetInstnace()’ routine to read the latest values of class?

Please share your opinion?

--Regards,

rajesh

Re: wsman set behavior..

Klaus Kaempf
* Kuri, Rajesh Siddappa <[hidden email]> [Sep 09. 2014 14:27]:

> So is that correct in 2.3.6 level of wsman there is an extra call to "GetInstnace()' routine to read the latest values of class?

Rajesh,

your observation is correct.
The additional GetInstance call was introduced for version 2.2.5 in
early 2011 with commit 1e1a0c6080d3e.
(https://github.com/Openwsman/openwsman/commit/1e1a0c6080d3ec7f9b804c0ea3802086d3887a56)

The additional GetInstance() call is required by the WS-Management 1.1
standard (DSP0226)

The respective commit message reads:

  Return current representation after PUT

  Using openwsman 2.2.4, a put operation returns the old representation
  of the resource (the one sent in the put request message). This occurs
  when at least one property is modifiable and a user attempts to set a
  non-modifiable property.

  DSP0226 specifies that the response shall contain the current
  representation of the resource.

  In addition, a provider may return an error to indicate a failure to
  update one or more of the modifiable properties. However, the "failed"
  error code is converted to "action not supported" fault.

Hth,

Re: wsman set behavior..

Kuri, Rajesh Siddappa
Thanks Klaus for confirming...